Save a Life Campaign
The “Save a Life Campaign” was created in 2013. The idea for this campaign was to make a difference in the community and to invest in underprivileged children who can’t swim. Swimkidz SA undertook it to get companies and individuals to sponsor children from families that cannot afford swimming lessons as well as children’s homes.
The sponsorship includes swimming lessons for 6 months, Swim Wear, a Towel, a Swim Cap and a Bag. We sadly found that most of these underprivileged children don’t have basic swim wear and a towel and couldn’t afford to buy it to come for free swimming lessons.
The parents of these individuals mostly also struggle with transportation to and from swimming classes, so in this case we try to get the transport sponsored too.
Drowning statistics in South Africa are generally poorly monitored and recorded but according to the information available, more than 600 drowning’s take place every year. The majority of these are children between the ages of one and four years. More shocking is the fact that, on average, six children drowns in residential swimming pools every month; this being while under some form of supervision.
One of the scariest statistics, according to Netcare 911, is that for every child who dies by drowning, five are left with permanent brain damage as a result of the prolonged lack of oxygen. It takes only four minutes without oxygen for irreversible brain damage to occur.
Drowning is listed as one of the top causes of unnatural deaths among children in South Africa. At the same time, these unfortunate events are actually preventable. An estimated 70% of the South African population are not good swimmers and less than 20% of previously disadvantaged people can swim.
Contrary to common belief, most drowning incidents do not occur on the coast during holidays when large numbers of bathers descend on beaches. Instead, most incidents occur in fresh water; in other words private and public swimming pools, dams and rivers.
Coastal incidents involve mostly children between the ages of ten and eighteen, while inland the majority of victims are children between the ages of two and eight years.
Swimkidz SA undertook it to make a difference by getting companies and individuals to sponsor children from families that cannot afford swimming lessons as well as children’s homes.
Sponsorship is valid for either six months or one year. In 6 months we can get a child water safe.
The sponsored child receives:
- A Towel (The Sponsoring Company’s Logo and SwimkidzSA Logo will be embrioded on the childs Towel)
- Branded Swim Clothing
- Swimming Cap
- Swimming Bag
- Swimkidz SA makes every effort to ensure that the child is water save as soon as possible.
- We invite the local newspaper to do articles on our project, whereby members of your company as well as the sponsored children are photographed.
- The parents and sponsors are invited to the final evaluation of the swimmers. Your company can however, at any given time, attend the swimming lessons
For a quotation and presentation please:
Contact Michelle Booysen
Cell: 071 897 3048
Terms & Conditions of the Save a Life Campaign
- Sponsorship is not refundable
- Payment needs to reflect in our bank account before we can proceed and start lessons
- You or your Company can at any given time, attend the swimming lessons
- Swimwear, Bag, Swimcap and Towel
Donations can be made to:
Swimkidz SA Sasolburg
ABSA Cheque Account: 407 408 5608
Ref: Donation SAL
Email Proof of Payment to: email@example.com
An Invoice will be send to your company when payment is received.
Swimkidz SA wants to thank the following companies for their sponsorship
R5 Save a Life Campaign
Help a Child in Need
Swimkidz SA wanted to include our current swimming students parents to help save lives, so the R5 project was launched in 2015.
For as little as R5 per month, every individual can make a difference. Most of our current Swimming Parents have the opportunity to add R5 to their monthly swimming fee by Debit order.
- Complete a Swimkidz SA Registration Form
- Complete section 5 on the back of the registration form
- Please mark the R5 Donate section
- Cancellation will work the same as normal swim lesson cancellations (1 calendar month notice)
- When you cancel your swimming lessons, the R5 donation will be cancelled automatically.
- Swimkidz SA will keep record of all donation amounts.
- A certain total amount is needed to sponsor a child swimming. When this amount is received in total we will start Sponsorship.
- Swimkidz SA will sponsor the underprivileged child’s lessons for however long we see fit.
- Sponsorship does not include transport, swimming towels, swim cap or swim wear.